Finding Work at U of T
- What are the technical requirements for using the online application system?
- Which job board should I use to apply for a position?
- Where do I look for research positions?
- Can you inform me when jobs I am interested in are posted?
- How do I get more details about the job I just applied to?
- Will my profile information remain confidential?
- I’ve submitted an application for a job. Will I automatically be considered for other similar jobs?
- Are all the jobs available at U of T posted on the web? Where else should I look?
- What does ‘appointment type’ refer to?
- Is applying online the only method I can use?
- Closing dates?
- When will I hear from U of T if I have been granted an interview for a position?
- How do I unsubscribe from receiving job posting notifications?
What are the technical requirements for using the online application system?
The University of Toronto (U of T) uses an online application system (also referred to as the Taleo system) for most of our job postings. This system lets you create a profile to keep track of the positions you’ve applied for, provides confirmation that your application has been accepte, allows you to edit submitted applications up until the posting closing date, and notifies you via email of jobs that match your skills and interests.
Recommended Operating Systems
- Windows: Vista, 7, 8, and 10
- Mac OS X 10.9 and above
Windows / PC:
- Internet Explorer (IE): versions 7 through 11
- Chrome: version 37 and greater
- Firefox: version 32 and greater
- Safari 7 or 8
Which job board should I use to apply for a position?
U of T has a variety of employee groups, and certain groups may apply for positions on specific job boards. Here is a summary of what job board you should be checking:
- If you do not currently work for the University, you are only eligible for jobs listed on the Opportunities for External Applicants web page
- If you are currently employed at the University and are a member of the USW staff-appointed union, you are only eligible for jobs on the USW 1998 Appointed Opportunities page board or for non-USW positions on the Opportunities for Internal Applicants web page
- If you work for the University and are not a member of the USW staff-appointed union, you are only eligible for jobs on the Opportunities for Internal Applicants web page
- If you work for the University as a non-appointed staff member (this includes UTemp employees), you are only eligible to apply for jobs on the Opportunities for External Applicants web page
Where do I look for research positions?
All research associate and senior research associate positions are posted on our Careers website. If you have a research background in a particular field, or are interested in a specific project, you may wish to contact the appropriate department or lead investigator directly to inquire as to whether or not they are hiring and when the positions will be posted.
Can you inform me when jobs I am interested in are posted?
To be informed of positions at U of T via email, register your profile on our online application system (Taleo) and select your preferences (based on job function, location and division or faculty). Please note that you will not be informed of all jobs being posted at the University, only those that match your indicated interests.
How do I get more details about the job I just applied to?
The HR office listed on the job posting can provide a full job description at your request.
Will my profile remain confidential?
Your profile information will only be accessed by appropriate U of T HR professionals and hiring managers, and we have implemented procedures to ensure that your information remains secure and protected. A privacy statement, which explains how information will be collected and used, can be found before you register your profile.
I’ve submitted an application for a job. Will I automatically be considered for other similar jobs?
You must apply individually to specific positions at the University to be considered for them. However, if you would like to be informed of jobs at U of T directly via email, you can choose our career alert when you fill out a candidate profile.
Are all the jobs available at U of T posted on the web? Where else should I look?
Most staff jobs at the University are posted here on our HR & Equity website, via our online application system (Taleo). Skilled trades are not generally posted, as they are usually hired through the appropriate hiring halls. However, some CUPE Local 3261 jobs are posted on our online application system. Academic postings are also listed online.
Academic and staff opportunities are also posted on an ongoing basis on our LinkedIn company page.
What does ‘appointment type’ refer to?
Each job posting indicates how the position is funded and includes details about the position.
- Continuing employees have no predetermined end date
- Term employees are hired for an initial appointment of at least six (6) months in length and have a predetermined end date
- Part-time employees have appointments based on less than 100 per cent of the full-time hours of work. Full time hours of work vary by employee group. Please refer to the applicable collective agreement or policy for more information.
- Casual employees are hired for a specific term and are considered as non-appointed staff (not eligible for benefits coverage)
- Sessional employees hold continuing appointments during the academic session (or part of) and are on layoff for the balance of the academic year
Is applying online the only method I can use?
U of T does not accept unsolicited resumes.
All positions on this site list a closing date, which is the last date for submissions. Positions close at 11:59 p.m. on the closing date. The job will no longer appear on the U of T Taleo website after this date and late applications will not be accepted.
When will I hear from U of T if I have been granted an interview for a position?
Since every position is different and can have any number of applications, there is no standard time period. Only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.
How do I unsubscribe from receiving job posting notifications?
You can unsubscribe to this setting at any time. Just log in to your Candidate Profile, and then follow these instructions:
- Log in to your account
- Either select Submit / Modify Your Profile or the drop-down arrow beside your name and select Profile
- Proceed through the first few pages until you find the box Accept invitations by email on career opportunities matching this profile
- Deselect the check mark to stop receiving job matches
- To reactivate this feature, follow the same process but select the check mark